Sunday, August 30, 2009

More About Running

I think I'm getting a bit obsessed with running:)

That's okay, I have a big goal so I need to focus on that and enjoy the ride as well! (It's my BHAG)

I ran my first half-marathon on August 16th, and it went really well - I felt great (other than some muscle soreness, understandable after 21.1 km - and yes, the .1 km is important!) Since then I have been taking it easy - funny how taking it easy involves a 13 km run, which I did today. It was an easy pace, anyway. I have continued to run, and next week I will start training for my full marathon in January at Disneyworld!

Now that I have done the half, somehow the full seems more real. Also, more daunting as I look at the training schedule - many weeks of 60+ km/wk. And winter is coming. I have never run outside in the winter, but I just can't picture running the track at the Y for the 32 km training run (that is 288 times around the tiny track). So it's time to learn about winter running. And the time commitment will be huge - there goes Sunday mornings for the rest of the year!

Oh, and the fundraising is really winding up, too. I am doing the marathon for Team Diabetes, and it's interesting how things are coming together. I am holding my pub night/silent auction on October 3rd and most people I have approached have been very helpful - whether to donate cash, items for my auction or door prizes, plan to attend with friends, or just the amazing encouragement. So many people's lives are touched with diabetes - I am so proud to be able to contribute to this cause!

If you would like to help, please email me at arlenetoys@shaw.ca, but don't feel you have to. Part of my goal is to raise awareness, so if you know one more thing about Team Diabetes now, I am happy:) (click here for lots more information: http://www.diabetes.ca/)

No comments:

Post a Comment