Monday, July 27, 2009

Create Memories with your family



I had a "remember when" kind of day today, I took my 16-year old daughter to the zoo! And it was her idea! We had so much fun seeing what's new, taking pictures (now on a digital camera), checking out the petting zoo, and especially remembering our past visits there. Some things have changed - the new lemur house and something like a guinea pig ranch; and some things have not - same old tigers. She even got to pet a rat:)

We probably hadn't been to the zoo for 8 or 10 years together, but it brought back all kinds of memories for both of us, the times we rode the paddle boats, the time she fed the elephants, the nocturnal exhibit, the time my son dropped his toy car into the gopher exhibit, and of course - ice cream! Then we got home and my 19 year old son reminded me of some other interesting memories (and how things in the zoo have changed over the years).

My children are fortunate that we have been able to spend time together doing fun things. That is what makes childhood special, and what creates lasting family bonds. Whether it's at the zoo, other local attractions, long trips, or even special family times at home, please make an effort to make those memories together. Games nights and family traditions are two great examples.

I am so blessed to have a teen who enjoy outings with her mom. At 16 she often prefers to text or chat on facebook, but today - no phones, no computer - just Mom, Rachel and the zoo. Simple times, and a new memory - fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment