Thursday, February 4, 2010

I AM A MARATHON RUNNER!!


Today I turn 50, and am proud to say that I am a marathon runner! When I turned 48, I started to think about what I would be doing in 2 years; and for some reason, running a marathon popped into my head. Weird, I know. But I figure if I have to have a mid-life crisis, why not make it a healthy one? And what the heck, how about doing it as a fundraiser, too? So now I had two rather HUGE goals to reach before I turn 50.

The reason I chose Team Diabetes is not because I am diabetic, or even have any close family members with diabetes. However, as a nurse, I have seen the devastating effect that Diabetes has on people and their families. And with Type 2 Diabetes reaching almost epidemic proportions, I am so happy to support a cause that can have an impact on ending Diabetes though research, education and advocacy. Check out www.teamdiabetes.ca for more information. Plus the t-shirt is cool. In return for me raising funds, Team Diabetes sent me to the fabulous Disneyworld Marathon – what a deal!

I had done a “learn to run” clinic a few years ago, then some sprint triathlons and one Olympic distance triathlon. The furthest I had ever run at one time was 10 km. So I did the smartest thing, I signed up for a Running Room “Half Marathon” Clinic, and decided to run the Intact Edmonton half marathon as a “warm up” for Disneyworld. It was great – I learned so much, from pacing and rest days to hills and speed training. I also connected with others in the class – what a fabulous experience to cross the finish line holding hands with 2 other Running Room pals! And we continued to run together after the clinic finished. The rest of the group went on to train for a couple of other half marathons, while I stepped up my training for the full 42.2 km! But not alone – I joined a Running Room on-line clinic so I could continue the support and training. Again, a smart move. The weekly emails and the training plan kept me motivated and on track.

It was a bit hard doing the training runs on my own, but I managed. My plan included joining the group on Tuesdays and Wednesdays when I could, then doing my long run on Sunday. I would run to the Namao Centre Running Room (about 4 km), run with the group however far they were going, then continue on my own to complete my distance. I usually stopped for coffee before finishing though, and joked that I might be the only runner that needs a coffee break on my long runs.

I was a bit worried about the marathon – no coffee breaks. And training in Alberta during winter for a warm-weather destination was hard at times. But all the training paid off, especially those hills! When I finished my last “race pace” run before travelling I felt so ready to conquer the marathon, it was a huge boost to my confidence.

As it turned out, Florida was NOT a warm weather destination this January – Marathon weekend was a chilly 26 F/ -3 C. I had been hoping it wouldn’t get that cold, but as I have heard, hope is NOT a strategy. I should have been a bit more prepared and was really missing some of my cold weather running gear. But with a bit of creative layering and my thermal socks, I managed okay. Team Diabetes took some extra care of us, handing out ponchos and providing a tent for us to huddle in before the race started. There were icy patches at the water stations, and my hair froze into an icicle as I ran. But I completed my first marathon and boy did it feel great!

I want to share my inspiration with you – running a marathon is a great accomplishment. If I can run a marathon, I can do anything I choose to do! And if you are reading this, please believe that if I can do it, so can you. Some key points:
1. Set a goal and write it down – I set this goal almost 2 years ago, and started taking action a year ago. Without the goal, nothing would have happened. I could clearly visualize running through Disneyworld long before it became a reality.
2. Do your research – I did some research about how to train, how to raise funds, which fundraising groups were attending the marathon I wanted to run.
3. Make a plan – your plan should include steps you need to take to reach your goal and a timeline for achieving these steps. The Running Room training plan was invaluable. Don’t forget your “plan B” for when things don’t happen the way you expect (for me this included how to dress for sub-zero weather in Florida of all places)
4. Get support – my support included my family, the running room clinic and participants, Team Diabetes, friends and more. In fact I was overwhelmed with the support I received, even from total strangers!
5. DO IT – Take your action, follow through – Dreams and goals without action are nothing. Action included doing things I was uncomfortable with, including asking for money, running outdoors in winter for long distances, definitely many things that were outside my comfort zone.
6. Once your goal is achieved – CELEBRATE and BE PROUD! – you have done something special! My celebrations included a victory dinner, a massage, time with my family in Disneyworld. Many athletes were seen all over the parks wearing their medals and marathon t-shirts. Everywhere total strangers would congratulate me – it was amazing!

The next goal? I have several, but one is the Goofy Challenge with my daughter (she says I have inspired her). Half marathon Saturday, full marathon Sunday. The medal is AWESOME! As one athlete put it - pain is temporary, Goofy Pride is forever!

Arlene Laskey
arlenetoys@shaw.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment